01 April 2013

THE STAR ALLIANCE

Posted on Facebook by Star Trek actor George Takei ~



"Friends, I am thrilled to announce that I'll be starring in the Star Wars reboot directed by JJ Abrams.  I'll be playing Master Ceti Maru, a member of the Jedi High Council.  The new film, entitled "Star Wars ~ Galactic Empire", is greenlit and will begin filming sometime early next year.  It is truly a moment for the Star Alliance.  Thanks to all my fans for their decades of support."

April Fools Day prank, or not?  Let's see ~

  • 'Ceti' could refer to the genetive word used to describe the stars belonging to the constellation Cetus, e.g., Tau Ceti.  CETI is also an acronym for 'Communication with Extraterrestrial Intelligence'.
  • 'Maru' could refer to a Maori war god, or to the Japanese word for circle or zero, or to the common suffix for Japanese ship names.
I call prank, but one I wish were reality.  It would be wonderful poetry to see George's career come full circle (full maru?) from playing helmsman Hikaru Sulu (an expert fencer) in Star Trek, to playing a lightsaber-wielding Jedi master in Star Wars.  He would be the first actor to appear in both universes.

Here's hoping I'm wrong in doubting Takei's announcement ~ but knowing his sense of humor, this is probably a puckish hoax.

No comments:

Post a Comment